Lindsay Station Round Up #2 6/7/17
Over the last week and a half we have made some pretty significant progress on Lindsay Station. It helped that Stephen took a week off before starting his new job so we could really get some things done before the contractors start. If you want to look back in time here is Week 1 Round Up
We never thought we would be so excited for a dumpster but let me tell you... we were thrilled. We did have an issue with the first delivery attempt. With all of the things going on we forgot to get no parking signs and there was a car blocking the back yard. On the bright side we met a bunch of neighbors while knocking on doors in search of the owner.
We considered hiring a couple laborers to help get the yard done faster. There was a significant amount of trash that needed moving, more fencing to be demoed, posts to be dug up, and a tree to be cut down. It seemed worth the money to have someone else do the heavy lifting (especially given David's right arm tendonitis that he talked about all week.) The crazy thing about us is that we have a hard time hiring most things...
Instead we had a couple of awesome friends come by to help. We finished all of the work in about 5 hours.
Our contractor Brian had the great idea of covering the dumpster with a tarp and using a 75ft dog lead to tie it down. Last thing we needed was the dumpster to be topped off with other peoples trash.
Stephen spent the week cleaning the interior. It may have been a waste given all of the work that will be happening but he was driven to get it done. Something about cleaning all of the windows and shop vacuuming 2,600 sq ft gets you really excited. I believe the word is nesting.
We are going to write all about this in another post but we finally got to see the fireplace in all of its glory. While viewing the house the majority of the tile was covered by old rusted doors. We got to remove them and really get a look at the tile below.
As if we didn't get our fill of fireplaces we decided at the last minute on adding a second fireplace. The one above is in the entry, and while beautiful, is less functional. We would probably only use it while entertaining. A modern gas fireplace in the living room, however, would be used much more frequently. We have never installed a gas fireplace before and learned a lot during the buying process. We will bring it up again in a future post. Here is a rendering of what the new fireplace will look like:
BONUS: This house once had two fireplaces but one was removed by the previous owner. Lucky for us the original mantel is in the basement and we plan on using it. Stephen modeled it exactly in the image above.
Out contractor Brian completed almost all of the framing and did an awesome job. The most noticeable improvement was taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room (you can see the new opening in the image of the fireplace.) It lines up amazingly well with the other 3 openings on the first floor.
This is the view from our future in-island kitchen sink.
We also framed in the new gas fireplace, closed the kitchen windows, and moved an attic closet.
A great way to end this segment was by having a bunch of friends over. Sunday was Dorchester Day and we thought it would be fun to do some house hopping. This allowed us to give a tour of the new place and to drink a beer on the front step.